When a Vizio TV isn’t working properly or continuously acts up, it could be time to reset it. Usually, you’d reset your TV with the remote when it isn’t working properly.
However, if you have lost or broken the original remote, you’ll have to reset the TV differently.
Luckily, there are a number of very easy ways in which you can reset a Vizio TV without a remote.
In this post, we’ll take you through each method so that you can reset your TV in no time and get back to watching your favorite shows without any more disruptions.
Let’s jump straight in!
Soft Reset And Hard Reset
If your TV isn’t functioning properly, you have two main choices when it comes to resetting it. Those options are a soft reset and a hard reset.
Within both of these options, you have a number of different methods available, but it is important to understand what each one means.
A soft reset doesn’t affect any of your TV’s settings or installed applications. It simply removes your television’s temporary memory.
When you reset your TV using a soft reset, you can simply turn it back on and start watching your show again.
On the other hand, we have a hard reset. A hard reset restores your television’s default factory settings, deleting all your data and applications in the process.
After a hard reset, you will have to go back through your television, completing all your settings and any customizations again. You’ll also have to redownload any applications.
Now you know what soft and hard resets are, we can show you the different methods used to perform each one without a remote.
Soft Resetting Your Vizio TV Without A Remote
Soft resetting your Vizio TV couldn’t be any easier. In just a matter of seconds, you can reset the TV, solving any problems in the process.
When the TV comes back on, it should have cleared any issues. You can hopefully then get straight back to watching your shows without any problems.
To soft reset a Vizio TV, follow the simple steps below.
- Turn off your television and unplug it from the power outlet.
- You should now leave your Vizio TV unplugged for at least 60 seconds.
- Next, you need to locate your TV’s power button. This is usually found at the back of the TV or on the right-hand side of the unit.
- Press the power button down and hold it there for at least 30 seconds.
- You can now plug the power cord back into the outlet or the back of the TV.
- When you turn your Vizio TV back on, it should reset itself, fixing any problems as it does so.
If your television continues to act up after a soft reset, try again two or three times. If it still continues to have the same problems, it’s time to perform a hard reset.
Hard Resetting Your Vizio TV Without A Remote
Hard resetting your television is generally considered to be the last resort option. You should consider performing a hard reset after trying to soft reset the television at least two or three times.
A hard reset should then solve any further software vulnerabilities, hopefully solving your problems.
- The first thing you need to do is power on your TV using the TV ON button, usually found on the top or side of the unit.
- Once the TV is powered on, you need to press and hold down the VOLUME DOWN button along with the INPUT button. These buttons are again found on the television unit. Hold both buttons down for at least 15 seconds.
- After 15 seconds, you will be prompted by the TV to “reset to default”. At this point, you need to press and hold the INPUT button for a further 10 seconds. After that 10 seconds, the TV should reset itself completely.
- You will know the method has worked when the TV displays a message saying, “memory is being cleared. The display will reset shortly”. After a few minutes, your TV should be back up and working as normal, hopefully fixing your issue in the process.
- You will, unfortunately, have to reconfigure your television and install any apps again when the hard reset has been completed.
Resetting Your Vizio TV With A Smartphone
Not all Vizio TVs are the same, therefore you might not have the buttons on the side of your TV required to perform a soft or hard reset.
While this is unlikely, you need another solution. Luckily for you, your smartphone is one.
Yes, you read that completely right, you can use your smartphone to reset your TV. Doing so is also a lot easier than you might expect.
Thanks to your phone’s IR sensor, your phone can actually act just like a remote. Below you will find instructions on how to do this properly.
It is worth noting that the TV and phone have to be using the same network for this method to work.
- Head to the app store on your smartphone and search for the Mi remote controller.
- You now need to install the app, start it up, and pair it with the TV. Don’t worry, you’ll be guided by on-screen prompts.
- Now, head to your Vizio TV’s settings by clicking the buttons in the app. Here you will find a number of settings and options.
- Head to “System”, “Reset”, and then “Admin”.
- When you get there, search for the “Reset TV to Factory Defaults” tab. You may need a pin at this stage.
- Your Vizio TV will then update, hard resetting to the TV’s original factory settings.
- Now you’ll have to go through your TV settings to reconfigure your options and reinstall any apps.
There you have it, 3 fantastic ways to easily reset your Vizio TV without needing a remote. Each method we have shown you is tried and tested and easily performed.
We have shown you how to soft reset and hard reset using the television itself or a smartphone.
All you need to do now is decide which method suits your needs best. You can choose whichever method works best for you.
Knowing that whichever one you use offers convenience and a positive solution. Don’t worry about which method you choose either because they all work brilliantly.